Monday, November 10, 2008

I am on an Island!

So 4 hours in a bus and 1 1/2 in a boat and I was in my area. My companion and I are everything. We are the branch president, we talk every Sunday, we bless the sacrament, we each teach a different class the second hour, we do all money, we are it. It's a little overwhelming, I not going to lie, to run a branch. I conduct the meeting, lead the hymns, Bless the sacrament, give my talk, and then teach a class. All this is hard enough but then when you change the language its awesome. I can really feel the Lord helping me. We have like 25 active members in the branch. The chapel is a little house on stilts. My house is a 30 sec walk to the beach.  My house is also on stilts. There are big rats in my house. It is pretty cool.
I have another dog. His name is black diamond.


The name of the island is Utila (aerial photo, visitor info). It is really really famous for its scuba diving. Its the best place in the world to dive with whale sharks. Everyone is a scuba diver here. The island lives off of its scuba diving. The native language is English. I don't now how to explain the natives because there is no one to compare them to, they are just Utilans. The natives talk like nothing I have ever heard. Its English but the closest thing I can compare it to is Pirates of the Caribbean. I am not joking, lots of them talk like pirates. There's lots of stories of people who have found pirate treasure for real here on the island. I am not joking, like they are legit. We eat fish all the time but like crazy fish. It’s what ever the natives catch that day. And Iguana, we eat iguana. My companion's name is Elder Davis. He is from Utah and we get along really well, and so you're not surprised, he has the reddest hair I have ever seen.  We get along really well. So today we are going to go hiking around the Island.  This native guy that is like 35 and has been exploring and fishing on the island his whole life is going to take us to some of the cool places today. He says, “We's goin  u come bac wit someting bra." Maybe an iguana or snake or something to eat tonight. This guy's job is just to fish. He free dives and catches fish all the time.  I am scared of him because he is all muscle. He's a member too so that makes him even cooler. He cooked us a barracuda (the fish). It was the best fish I have ever had. I have so many thing I want to tell you I just can't explain. But yes my companion and I are the branch pres. on an island. We only go on division one time every 6 weeks and we don't have district meetings or anything. We are just on the island all the time.

No comments: